FutureFolk is a Online Community and Social Enterprise which aims to to make activism, and the pursuit of a sustainable and equitable future, an accessible reality.
Our Community of FutureFolk includes all people who are subject to systemic forms of oppression. This includes, but is not limited to, people who are: Indigenous, Black, women, trans, non-binary, intersex, non-Black people of colour, members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, Deaf, deafened, or hard of hearing, disabled, neuro-divergent, single parents, and more.
FutureFolk as an organisation will set the core values, policies and procedures, as well as major goals for all FutureFolk projects; FutureFolk, and all of our Projects, are founded on ideals of intersectional inclusivity, a living wage, and building a sustainable future as a unified front.
We’re creating a more inclusive, accessible, trauma informed, and accountable world, facilitated through a practise of respect and appreciation for Indigenous values, fair wage employment, as well as green energy and living pursuits.
Contribute & Join Us
FutureFolk isn't a business; we are a Community of intersectionally inclusive people who want to empower the healing and success of others. If our values are aligned with yours, or if we've said something that excites you or gives you a tiny twinkle of hope, then maybe you are a FutureFolk too.
FutureFolk come in all genders, ethnicities, neurotypes, educations, skill level, ability, and more. We're people from a broad variety of socio-economic backgrounds, which is a fancy was of saying that we come from all walks of life, but we have one common characteristic; We care about people.
In coming weeks, FutureFolk's goals and priorities will become increasingly clear as we build our online presence, share more of our established goals, and begin to announce our many plans for how we, and other FutureFolk around the globe, are going to make our shared world into a better place.
You are welcome to join us.
Below is a link to our Volunteer Registration, as well as our donations platform. We're also
Please feel free to contribute however you are able; If your greatest ability to support FutureFolk is through social media, please feel free to share our goals, our links, or encourage the people in your lives to donate to our goals, below.
In 2020, TheyFolk (the precursor to FutureFolk) was a baby platform that hosted a ton of donation-only livestream shows for artists across Canada and the UK. Not only did we have a team of volunteers that worked for weeks to make this possible, they did so while facing displacement, Covid, the uncertainty of the music industry, and all the stresses that came with that.
Now, nearing 2023, we’ve been ready to come back for sometime — with one persistent obstacle; Every person we know has been hugely impacted by Covid and the last three years, and we need a bit of financial help to get going again.
This GoFundMe’s goal is to help build a budget with which to hire a committed person to focus on helping TheyFolk start singing again. This individual will help the founding members of TheyFolk to adapt our initial goals and make them more intersectionally inclusive, accessible, and safe for people for marginalised groups.
What we’re asking for is donations, shares, or using word of mouth to help us meet our fundraising goal.
What our goal covers:
- A living wage based on our base city, paid as a salary for 1 year, for one committed person to focus on day-to-day operations and breathe life back into TheyFolk activities. This person will be supported through volunteer efforts from the founder.
- Approximately $1000 per month to go towards supplies, including space rental and/or utilities for TheyFolk operations.
Any excess fundraising will go into:
- Hiring additional part-time staff at an hourly living wage, for the purpose of supporting day-to-day operations and TheyFolk activities.
- Saving for the purchase of a permanent building, land, or space, which can be dedicated and improved to suit our accessibility needs.
TheyFolk goals include:
- Regular live-streamed performances from gender-diverse lineups.
- Free and/or pay-what-you-can options for workshops and mentorship for IBPOC, 2SLGBTQIA+, and those experiencing hardship.
- Writing reviews and feedback for submissions of all traditional art mediums with a storytelling focus: ie. poetry, prose, music.
- Creating a centralised marketing service for jewellery and art, and encouraging creators to list their items to their benefit.
- Creation of a TheyFolk Basics workshop for teaching music teachers and program facilitators about anti-racism, anti-colonialism, gender, and more.
- Finding a space to suit our physical needs, with room for growth.
- The creation of online / in-person workshop events to facilitate creative activities during the ongoing Covid pandemic.
- Organising regular, online group or solo lessons for music and/or singing. This will be facilitated by listing existing music teachers on our website, after teachers complete TheyFolk training.
Again, if you’re unable to donate financially, that’s okay. We completely understand. Instead, feel free to share by message, e-mail, postcard, carrier pigeon, or cipher (with key, please). Every share helps.
The TheyFolk Founding Team